Friday, February 11, 2011

Flying With the Kuala's

      In “Flight With the Kuala,” Don Stap uses a lot of descriptive language to draw the reader in. I’m not interested in learning about birds, however the way he wrote made it interesting to learn about. He gives an explanation using imagery which made everything he said easier to comprehend. He uses metaphors to teach the reader about birds and their environment. Scientists are objective when it comes to interpreting their data, which adds meaning and value. His descriptive information added some flair to otherwise methodical and dull material.
He begins by writing “In February, at 37 degrees 12 minutes south latitude, the sun sets late, but night has fallen and the darkness is thick and close. In the hills to the west I see a few dull globes of light from distant houses.” From the beginning, he caught my attention by already placing me in a journey I was ready to begin. The way he interpreted everything had me feeling as if i was a part of his experiment. The writer wants the reader to envision everything as if they see it with there own eyes. While not a lover of birds, I found his writing to be an excellent way of presenting scientific facts to engage the reader. While informative, his work is also entertaining. This balance of science and art blended in beautiful harmony and enticed me "fly" with the Kuala.

No comments:

Post a Comment