Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What a "bitch" that was!

 
            COLLAGE

            In “Collage”, Shelly Jackson discusses how all the words of the English language (or any spoken language for that matter) can be put together like a collage of photographs to create a new and unique definition. She brings up the beauty and the art of language and made me think about something I had never thought about before – that I am the author of all my written and verbal creations. When you think about all the laws and rules of the English language, they restrict your communication and your personal art to speak. In this sense, even improper speech should be proper and improper grammar should be proper because it is an expression of your thoughts. And to follow along with her thoughts, I am thinking of a new word to make up…which is harder than I thought it would be. Its probably all those language laws getting in the way of my creativity.

            REALITY FICTION

            Shelly Jackson’s analysis of reality fiction made me think about reality television. Is it really reality? I think its more like reality fiction, because when people know they are being taped, they are behaving in ways other than how they may if they were not being taped. She claims that many times fiction competes with reality, and that many times, reality wins when it should not. Many use fiction to escape reality, and sometimes fiction (because it is derived from fantasy) can be more pleasurable from reality. To pick at reality and switch it around through fiction, we alter reality through fiction, and make the world a more interesting place. I think that is the core of “reality shows” or reality fiction (a more suitable title I think)… there! I found my new word : Realction.

No comments:

Post a Comment